It is very effective to purify mind and body. Anulom Vilom pranayama is one of the excellent breathing exercises which is also known as Nadi Shodhana. Regular practice offers energy in the body and releases stress and anxiety. It should be practiced in the morning in the fresh air with empty stomach.
Anulom Vilom (Alternate Nostril Breathing) is one of the most effective pranayama (breathing exercises) to purify the mind and body. Anulom Vilom offers benefits in curing most of the internal body conditions and is very useful in releasing stress and anxiety.
Anulom Vilom pranayama can be performed by people of all ages. It will help to practice this breathing exercise in a peaceful place like near a river or in a garden with plenty of greenery, and where there is a lot of oxygen. The best time to practice this breathing exercise is considered to be early in the morning before having your breakfasts. You can also practice it after giving a gap of five hours after eating.
This will allow the food that is consumed to get digested To perform Anulom Vilom, you should first close your eyes and relax all your muscles for while Then, inhale from your left nostril while keeping your right nostril closed with the thumb of your right hand Retain the breath for a few seconds and exhale from your right nostril with your middle and ring fingers closing your left nostril Then, once again take in the breath from your right nostril Finally, exhale from your left nostril while closing your right nostril with your thumb. This will complete one round of the pranayama You could perform this exercise for around 15 minutes while taking a minute rest after every 5 minutes.
Steps for Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Sit comfortably on flat ground. Those who can’t sit can sit on chair because this is related to the breath.
- Now close right nostril with right thumb and breathe from left nostril. Then close left nostril with middle and ring finger and breathe out from right nostril.
- Now breathe in deeply with right nostril and then close right nostril and breathe out deeply with left nostril. Do the repetition.
- Do this for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep in mind that your breathing should be up to the lungs and not in the stomach.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- It improves blood circulation.
- It calms your mind.
- Keep away the heart related problems
- Provide relaxation to body and mind.
- Regular practice of anulom vilom breathing exercise cleanses, strengthens and tones your nervous system.
- It improves your concentration.
- Excellent for glowing skin.
- Helps to improve function of your lungs.
- Helps to prevent diabetes and keeps diabetes under control.
- Remove blockage of arteries.
- Relive stress depression and hypertension.
- Cure Asthma, headache, migraine, Neurological problems, Heart blockage, depression, gastric problems.
- Improve the working of lungs.
- Most beneficial for breathing related problems like (Bronchitis, Asthama) etc.
- Helps to cure mental problems like Depression, Anxiety, Tension etc.
Precaution of Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Practice under expert guidance. Pregnant women should practice Anulom Vilom but over straining should be avoided.
- Anulom vilom pranayama should be practiced on an empty stomach.
- It should be done in the morning or evening or both. If you don’t have time in the morning or evening, you can do it at your convenience.
- Make sure that you practice anulom vilom pranayama 4-5 hours after having your food.