Bhramari pranayama is very effective in instantly calming your mind down. It is one of the best breathing exercises to release the mind of agitation, frustration or anxiety and get rid of anger. A simple-to-do technique, can be practiced anywhere at work or home, and an instant option available to de-stress yourself. This breathing technique derives its name from the black Indian bee called Bhramari. (Bhramari = type of Indian bee; pranayama = breathing technique) The exhalation in this pranayama resembles the typical humming sound of a bee, which explains why it is named so.
Bhramari (Bee Breath) is a very effective pranayama (breathing exercise) for meditation. Performing this breathing exercise helps to induce a calming effect on the mind almost immediately. Practicing Bhramari pranayama benefits in reducing high blood pressure, fatigue, and mental stress.
Bhramari pranayama is the excellent breathing exercise which plays an important role in releasing agitation, frustration and anger. It is the best breathing exercise in calming your mind. ‘Bhramari ‘is the type of ‘Indian bee’ and ‘pranayama ‘means breathing. So it is called as Bhramari Pranayama. In this type of pranayama when we exhale making a humming sound. It resembles the typical humming sound of bees. So you can understand why this breathing exercise is called as Bhramari Pranayama. Let’s see steps and benefits of pranayama as follows.
Steps for Bhramari Pranayama
- Sit straight in the Padmasana or Sukhasana and press your tragus with your thumb.
- Place your index fingers on the forehead and with the remaining fingers close your eyes.
- Start inhaling through both the nostril deeply and slowly.
- By keeping mouth close, exhale by making a humming sound bee like “hmmmm”. While making humming sound say ‘Om’ in soft humming sound.
- Feel your body releases impurity from your body and experiencing positive energy.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama
- It relieves tension, anger and anxiety.
- Effective against hypertension.
- Cures sinus problem.
- Bhramari Pranayama controls the high blood pressure and cures it.
- Helps to stay calm and bring stability in mind.
- Cures the problems related to nervous system.
- During pregnancy it is very helpful for pregnant women for easy and trouble free childbirth.
Precautions of Bhramari Pranayama
- It should be practice under expert guidance.
- People having heart disease should not hold their breath for long time.
- Pranayama should be done on empty stomach.
- If you feel dizzy while practicing, stop the exercise and start normal breathing.
- Consult a doctor if you are suffering from any ear problem or and medical ailments before doing Bhramari Pranayama.
- Should maintain gap of 5 hours between your meal and lunch.
- Better to practice in the morning in fresh air.